The world was created perfect.
But man rebelled against God.
- "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
- "God saw all that he had made, and it was very good."
The consequence of this is death.
- "God looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any
who seek God. Everyone has turned away, they have together become corrupt; there is no-one who
does good, not even one."
- "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righetous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf and like the wind our sins sweep us away."
This is therefore the current state of mankind. We are cut off from God because of our imperfection (sin) and
there is nothing that we can do. By no work can anyone save himself.
- "And the Lord God said, 'The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He
must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.' So
the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken."
- "For the wages of sin is death.."
But there is Good News (Gospel means good news).